Last updated on March 2, 2021
Click on the links below to jump to each section:
- What information do we collect and for what purpose?
- Sharing of your information
- Your choices about your information
- How we store and protect your information
- Canadian Residents’ Privacy Rights
- California Customer Privacy Rights
- Children's Privacy
- Links to other web sites and services
- How to contact us
What information do we collect and for what purpose?
The categories of information we collect can include:
- Contact Information: your first and last name, mailing address, email address, and phone number;
- Other identifying information: IP address and usernames;
- Financial Information: payment information, such as credit card and debit card information;
- Internet or other electronic activity: your browsing and click history, including information about how you navigate within our services and which elements of our services you use the most;
- Commercial information: products purchased or viewed on our website;
- Audio and visual information: your videos and photos that you’ve uploaded to our sites; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitude.
Categories of Use
- Transactional Purposes: We use your contact information, other identifying information, financial information, and commercial information to:
- Receive, process, confirm, send and track your order, subscription or registration;
- Communicate with you about your account verification, order, subscription or registration; and
- Process any subscription or registration you make to one of our services.
- Analytical Purposes: We use your other identifying information, internet activity and browsing history, commercial information, and geolocation data to analyze preferences, trends and statistics.
- Marketing and Promotional Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, internet or other electronic activity, and inferences to:
- Inform you of our new products, services and offers;
- Provide you with and measure and optimize targeted advertising;
- Run contests, promotions and sweepstakes, and
- Provide you with other information from and about Soylent Nutrition, Inc., including personalized marketing communications.
- Maintenance and Improvement of Services and Website: We use your contact information, commercial information, and internet activity and browsing history to:
- Operate, maintain, and provide to you the features of the Service;
- Handle your customer services requests; and
- Help us diagnose technical and service problems and administer our website.
- Review and Content Creation Purposes: We use your contact information, commercial information, and audio and visual information to enable reviews of our products and to display content that you have created and allowed us to display on our website and services and on social media and other advertising
- Security and Fraud Prevention: We use your contact information, other identifying information, commercial information, financial information, geolocation data, internet activity and browsing history, and inferences to protect this website, our company, and others and to prevent fraud, theft and misconduct.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect information from the following sources:
We collect information directly from you.
We collect contact information, payment information and other identifying information directly from you.
We collect information about you from third parties.
We collect information from you passively. We collect Internet or other electronic activity passively using tools like browser cookies. This activity is further described in the Cookies section below.
When We Share Information with Third Parties
Our Service Providers
We may contract with companies or persons to provide certain services including hosting and maintenance, data storage and management, marketing, billing, payments, payment processing, order fulfillment, or providing analytic services, etc. We call them our Service Providers. We only provide our Service Providers with the information needed for them to perform these services. We also ask our Service Providers to confirm that their privacy practices are consistent with ours.
Our Select Partners
From time to time we might establish a business relationship with other persons or entities whom we believe trustworthy and whom we have asked to confirm that their privacy policies are consistent with ours. For example, our business partners who offer a service to you jointly with us, or who partner with us to provide our Services to you, or other companies whose products or services may be of interest to you (to see how you may opt-out of this sharing, see Your Choices, below). These are known as our Select Partners. In such cases we might rent, exchange, share and/or cross-reference information, including contact information about you that will enable such persons or entities to contact you regarding products and services that may be of interest to you.
We may share Personal Information with businesses controlling, controlled by, or under common control with our Company.
Law Enforcement and Courts
We and our third-party partners may automatically collect certain types of usage information when you visit our web site or use our Service. For instance, when you visit our web sites, we may send one or more cookies — a small text file containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer that uniquely identifies your browser and lets us help you log in faster and enhance your navigation through the site. A cookie may also convey information to us about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, how frequently you access the Service, and other actions you take on the Service), and allow us to track your usage of the Service over time. We may collect log file information about your browser or mobile device each time you access the Service. Log file information may include anonymous information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type, information about your mobile device, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with links on the Service, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other such information. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons) which are used to anonymously track the online usage patterns of our Users. In addition, we may also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and which links are clicked by recipients. The information allows for more accurate reporting and improvement of the Service. We may also collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the Service. These tools collect information sent by your browser or mobile device, including the pages you visit, your use of third-party applications, and other information that assists us in analyzing and improving the Service.
We may use the data collected through cookies, log file, device identifiers, location data and clear gifs information to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the site; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including advertising; (c) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (d) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our web site and our Service; (e) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (f) otherwise to plan for and enhance our service.
Most web browsers are initially set up to accept cookies. You can reset your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent, however, certain features of the web site or our services may not work if you delete or disable cookies. Some of our Service Providers may use their own cookies, anonymous identifiers, or other tracking technology in connection with the services they perform on our behalf.
We use Google Analytics on our website and through our services to analyze how users use the web site and such services, and to provide advertisements to you on other websites. For more information on how Google Analytics collects and processes information, please visit: www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/. For more information about how to opt out of having your information used by Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
Third-party tracking and online advertising
We may permit third-party ad networks, social media companies, and other third-party services to collect information about browsing behavior from visitors to our Service through cookies, social plug-ins, or other tracking technology. For information on how social media companies use the data they collect through such cookies, social plug-ins or other tracking technologies, please visit their respective privacy policies:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/en/privacy
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/policy.php
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/519522125107875
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/legal/privacy-policy
We may permit third-party online advertising networks to collect information about your use of our web sites over time so that they may play or display ads that may be relevant to your interests on our Service as well as on other web sites or services. Typically, the information is collected through cookies or similar tracking technologies. The only way to completely “opt-out” of the collection of any information through cookies or other tracking technology is to actively manage the settings on your browser or mobile device. Please refer to your browser’s or mobile device’s technical information for instructions on how to delete and disable cookies, and other tracking/recording tools. Our systems do not recognize browser “Do Not Track” signals, but several of our Service Providers who utilize these cookies on our web site enable you to opt out of targeted advertising practices.
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/help/568137493302217
- Google: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB
(To learn more about cookies, clear gifs/web beacons and related technologies and how you may opt-out of some of this tracking, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org and/or the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org). Depending on your mobile device, you may not be able to control tracking technologies through settings. If you have any further questions about opting out of the collection of cookies and other tracking/recording tools, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. We may also aggregate or otherwise strip data of all personally identifying characteristics and may share that aggregated, anonymized data with third parties.
Any information or content that you voluntarily disclose for posting to the Service, such as User Content, becomes available to the public, as controlled by any applicable privacy settings. If you remove information or content that you posted to the Service, copies may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Service, or if other Users have copied or saved that information.
Your choices about your information
How to control your communications preferences
You can stop receiving promotional email communications from us by clicking on the “unsubscribe link” provided in such communications. We make every effort to promptly process all unsubscribe requests. You may not opt-out of Service-related communications (e.g., account verification, information about your orders, changes/updates to our products or features of the Service, technical and security notices). If you want to opt-out of having your information shared with third parties for marketing purposes, you may contact us directly at email@example.com or click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email and follow the on-screen instructions.
Modifying or deleting your information
If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying or deleting your account information, you can contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to proceed with reviewing, modifying, or deleting your account information, please click here and complete the form.
Terminating or deactivating your account
Following termination or deactivation of your Soylent account, we may retain your profile information and User Content for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, or audit purposes. Furthermore, Soylent may retain and continue to use indefinitely all information (including User Content) contained in your communications to other Users or posted to public or semi-public areas of the Service after termination or deactivation of your User account.
How we store and protect your information
Storage and Processing
Keeping your information safe
Soylent cares about the security of your information, and uses commercially reasonable physical, administrative, and technological safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of all information collected through the Service. However, no security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of our systems 100%. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, Soylent will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and where appropriate, notify those individuals whose information may have been compromised and take other steps, in accordance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Canadian Residents Privacy Rights
Canada’s privacy laws are consent-driven, meaning the knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where there is an exception to the consent requirement that allows for personal information to be collected, used or disclosed without the knowledge and consent of the individual.
Consent may be express or implied. In determining the appropriate form of consent, the sensitivity of the information and the reasonable expectations of the individual must be taken into account.
You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. When you request to withdraw your consent, we will inform you of the consequences of your withdrawal.
Access, Correction and Other Rights
- Right of Access and Correction: Depending on your jurisdiction of residence and subject to applicable law, Soylent permits the reasonable right of access, review and correction of the personal information we hold. To request access or to correct your personal information, please contact us at email@example.com or click here to complete our form. To guard against fraudulent requests for access, we may require sufficient information to allow us to confirm that the person making the request is authorized to do so before granting access or making corrections. In some cases, we may not be able to provide you with access to your personal information, for example, if it contains personal information of other persons or for other legal reasons.
- Right to Request Where Your Personal Information is Stored: You may request information from Soylent on the jurisdictions in which we and/or our Service Providers will process and store your personal information. Where we transfer, store and process your personal information outside of Canada, we ask our Service Providers to confirm their privacy practices are consistent with our to ensure an adequate level of data protection.
- Right to Withdraw Consent: You may withdraw your consent at any time, subject to legal and contractual restrictions. If you withdraw your consent, we will inform you of the consequences of such withdrawal.
- Opt-Outs: Soylent does not share personal information with third-party business parties for their direct marketing purposes. Nevertheless, you may exercise your option to opt-out of this practice by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here to complete our form, and we will keep a record of your opt-out in case our practices change.
California Customer Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you have certain privacy rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA Rights”). This section describes those rights and how you can exercise them with Soylent.
CCPA Rights Requests
Right to Know and Right to Deletion
You can request what personal information we have collected, used, disclosed, and sold in the preceding 12 months.
You can request the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you.
You can request the following categories of information:
- The categories of Personal information we have collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which the Personal Information was collected;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the Personal Information; and
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared Personal Information.
You can also request that we delete your personal information. We may not delete all of your personal information if one of the following exceptions applies:
- Transactional: to complete a transaction for which the personal information was collected, provide a good or service requested by you, or perform a contract we have with you;
- Security: to detect data security incidents;
- Error Correction: to debug or repair any errors;
- Legal: to protect against fraud or illegal activity or to comply with applicable law or a legal obligation, or exercise rights under the law, such as the right to free speech; or
- Internal Use: to use your personal information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which you provided the information (i.e. to improve our services).
Please note that if we delete your personal information, many of our services will not work the same. Some examples include, but are not limited to email newsletter and product recommendations.
To submit a request to know or a request to delete, please click here to complete our form. In order to verify your identity, you will need to provide personal information, such as purchase order or account information. We will match this information to the information on our systems. For an online request to delete, we will also send you a second verification to confirm that you want your information to be deleted. To use an agent, you must provide the agent with written authorization. In addition, the customer may be required to verify their own identity with Soylent.
You can also call us toll free at 1-888-914-9661 (PIN: 568426) to submit your request by phone. You must provide us with all of the information set forth above in any such request, including what request you are making. THIS TOLL FREE NUMBER IS USED EXCLUSIVELY TO PROCESS CCPA REQUESTS; FOR ALL OTHER CUSTOMER SUPPORT NEEDS OR BUSINESS INQUIRIES, PLEASE CONTACT US AT email@example.com.
If you wish to make multiple requests under this section, we recommend sending the deletion request last, as we will not be able to fulfill your other requests once we have deleted your information. We will maintain a record of your request to know or request to delete.
Please note that if we delete your Personal Information, some of our services will not work the same. For example, your previous opt out requests will not be saved, and saved preferences and information will no longer be available.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Personal Information that We SellWe may “sell” (as sell is defined in CCPA) the following categories of Personal Information:
- Characteristics of protected classifications under California and federal law;
- Internet/electronic activity;
- Commercial information; and
- Inferences drawn from the categories described above in order to create a profile about you to reflect your preferences, characteristics, behavior and attitudes.
We do not knowingly sell the Personal Information of minors under the age of 16.
Right to Opt Out of Sale
California residents have the right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information to third parties, as “sale” is defined under CCPA.
We don’t share your personal information for money, but we currently participate in digital advertising networks to deliver advertising that is tailored to your interests. The participation in certain ad networks can constitute a “sale” of Personal Information under CCPA. In order to opt out of this activity, please visit optout.aboutads.info and optout.networkadvertising.org.
Please note that, otherwise, Soylent does not presently exchange Personal Information for money with anyone, nor does Soylent otherwise share Personal Information within the meaning of a “sale.” Also, Soylent does not currently disclose Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
To exercise your right to opt out of the sale of your Personal Information, please click the button labeled “DO NOT SELL MY PERSONAL INFORMATION” at the bottom of this page.
You may change your mind and opt back in to Personal Information sales at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA Rights and we will not deny you services, charge you a different price, or provide you with a lesser quality of services if you exercise any of your CCPA Rights.
We offer various financial incentives. The terms of the financial incentive will be presented to you at the time you sign up. You may withdraw from any of the financial incentives by emailing us at email@example.com. The value of your data is the value of the offer presented to you. We have calculated the value of the incentive by using the expense related to the offer.
In Canada, the web site and the services are intended for users who are 16 years or older. Soylent does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 16 or knowingly allow such persons to register as Users. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 16, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 16, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the United States, the web site and the services are intended for users who are 13 years or older. Soylent does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13 or knowingly allow such persons to register as Users. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under 13, please contact us at email@example.com.
Links to other web sites and services
Our Service may integrate with or contain links to other third-party sites and services. We are not responsible for the practices employed by third-party web sites or services embedded in, linked to, or linked from the Service and your interactions with any third-party web site or service are subject to that third-party’s own rules and policies.
How to contact us
777 S. Alameda St. 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90021